Tim Berners-Lee will receive Japan Prize 2002

From: Tim Finin (finin@cs.umbc.edu)
Date: 12/13/01

I just saw this announcement that Tim Berners-Lee
will receive the 2002 Japan Prize.  Congratulations Tim.

> From: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
> From: Nobuo Saito <ns@slab.sfc.keio.ac.jp>
> Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Technical Director will receive 2002 Japan
> Prize.  Japan Prize is called Japanes-Nobel Prize, and each year
> the field for nominations is fixed in advance.  Tim is nominated
> for 2002 Prize in the field of computing and comutational science
> and engineering for his invention and civilization of World Wide Web.
>
> http://www1m.mesh.ne.jp/jstf/English.htm

Likened to Nobel prizes, the annually awarded Japan Prize recognizes
"significant and revolutionary achievements of originality" in science
and technology "for the peace and prosperity of mankind." The
award, administered by the Science and Technology Foundation of Japan,
is accompanied by a cash prize of 50 million yen. It was first given in 1985.