homework results

From: Mike Dean (mdean@bbn.com)
Date: 11/01/00

Wow!  I'm impressed with what I've seen so far of the
ontologies and content produced for DAML Homework Assignment
1 [1].  A table providing pointers to "everything" is
available [2] (please send any updates/corrections to me).

Almost everyone posted their lessons learned alongside their
pages (a good idea).  In 2 cases where I couldn't readily
discern a location, I went ahead and copied them to [3] as
originally planned.  ISI and LM M&DS, let me know if you'd
prefer to have a direct link to your public site instead.

If the .daml content on your site doesn't already come up as
text when you open it in a browser, you may want to force
the MIME type to text/plain as we have on www.daml.org.  For
Apache, add the following line to conf/mime.types:

  text/plain	daml

I've got a few things to fix in generating [4].  In
particular,

  submit.html needs to check for special characters such as
  & in text fields

  submission dates aren't currently being reported (maybe
  that's a good thing :-))

  Properties aren't currently being captured properly

  more Classes should be captured as we upgrade to Sergey
  Melnik's latest release of RDF API

Information on your ontologies will automatically be updated
as we make these changes.

Sergey Melnik pointed out a couple bugs in my DAML template
for closing action items 12 & 13.  Other than adding > to
close <rdf:Description, let's hold off on changes until we
figure out how we want to do this properly.

The Integration Team is currently building a DAML Crawler to
collect DAML content (based on the root URIs submitted and
Jeff Heflin's Expose crawler for SHOE).  This will provide a
large corpus of DAML statements in a readily-accessible form
downloadable from www.daml.org (exact format TBD).

I'm not yet ready to set a date for availability of the
Ontology Library updates and Crawler, but they're among the
highest priority tasks for the Integration Team and we hope
to make them available soon.

Several DAML groups have already expressed interest in using
the homework data for initial analysis, tests, demos,
experiments, etc.  Go for it, and let us know what you find!

Thanks!

	Mike

[1] https://www.daml.org/homework/1/assignment.html

[2] https://www.daml.org/homework/1/summary.html