DAML Language Committee Minutes 24 October 2000

This page summarizes the initial telecon for the DAML Language Committee held from 1300 to 1400 PDT on 24 October 2000. These minutes were prepared by the chairman, but have not yet been reviewed by the participants.



This committee is chartered to refine and evolve the DARPA Agent Markup Language (DAML), serving as an editorial committee.

The DAML-Logic effort initiated at the kick-off meeting will be folded into this effort.

There has been a lot of discussion about how this group will relate to W3C, DARPA, and other efforts. Some folks have expressed concern about the "exlusivity of process". We want to extend the effort to include participants beyond the DARPA DAML program, but also want to keep it a manageable size that can actually get work done. The current thought is a open/closed (semi-open) process with closed meetings/telecons, open minutes, discussion on public email lists. At this point, the committee is sanctioned only by Jim Hendler.

DAML is not currently a W3C activity; several W3C personnel are being funded by DARPA to participate in the DAML program and this committee. When this was discussed with the W3C Advisory Committee a year ago, some of the members expressed the view that the Semantic Web activity was not at the stage that it is ready for W3C standardization work, although they were happy for W3C to engage in advanced development if funded independently. Proposals can be submitted now for the next Advisory Committee meeting in November.

Likely next steps for the committee are

Activities to Date and Work in Progress

DAML-ONT was released and publically announced on October 10. Feedback and discussion have centered on the www-rdf-logic@w3.org email list.

No one is currently developing a narrative language specification (like the DAML 0.5 specification distributed at the kickoff meeting). daml-walkthru serves some of this purpose.

Several language mapping documents are being developed:

ACTION: Mike Dean will create a general language mapping page on www.daml.org linking to the above efforts.

Lynn Andrea Stein has developed some additional comments on the OIL to DAML-ONT mapping. ACTION: Frank and Deb will collect information and update the DAML-OIL page.

Dan Connolly has developed some initial thoughts on subclassing Literal to provide stronger typing (a la XML Schema) at http://www.daml.org/2000/10/daml-num.daml, but doesn't currently plan to take this further.

Committee Communication

We will use the CVS Repository on www.daml.org for specifications, etc. ACTION: Mike Dean will send access information to committee members.

Meeting minutes will be posted to www-rdf-logic@w3.org.

Today's meeting time is acceptable as a regular meeting time: 4pm Eastern, 1pm Pacific, corresponding times in other locations. We'll convene weekly for now, but may move to bi-weekly telecons in the future.

In-Person Meeting

Jim Hendler has discussed holding workshops in between PI meetings. The next DAML PI Meeting will be held Feb 13-15 in DC.

Deb McGuinness offered to host a meeting at Stanford, and has proposed alternating such meetings between the East and West Coasts.

Jim has asked BBN to look at funding travel by non-DAML European participants under the DAML Integration contract.

Dan Connolly suggested a meeting in conjunction with the XML 2000 Conference in DC, December 3-8.

RESOLVED: Everyone should pencil-in Dec 7-8 in DC for a face-to-face meeting. We will make a go/no-go decision on this meeting during our telecon on 7 November.


Kelly Barber's raw notes

$Id: 2000-10-24.html,v 1.5 2000/11/21 22:40:37 mdean Exp $